Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Wonder

For God so loved the world, that he gave His only 
begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him 
should not perish, but have everlasting life.  
John 3:16

Tell me what it means to perish, and enable me to
grasp the thought of a life that is eternal. Measure
for me the abyss of man's wickedness and guilt dur-
ing all the ages of his black and hateful history, that 
I may realize in some degree what that world is 
which God loved. Then, pausing for a moment in 
wonder at the thought that such a world could be 
loved at all, hasten on to speak of love that gave the 
Son. And when you have enabled me to know this 
love which cannot be known, for it passes knowledge, 
press on still and tell me of the sacrifice by which it 
has measured and proved itself--His Son, His Only-
begotten Son. 

And when you have achieved this, I turn again to the 
words of Christ, and I read that it was GOD who so 
loved the world, and I crave to know Who and What 
God is. When I come to know that it was GOD who 
loved, that GOD was the giver, and GOD's Son the 
gift, I stand as a wondering worshipper in the pre-
sence of the Infinite, and confess that such knowledge 
is too high for me.     Sir Robert Anderson

Reader, John 3:16 is one of the first verses learned in
childhood. But it is not a verse for children, but for the
one who desires to press into the God who loved the
Cosmos, Satan's world, so much that He gave His all.
One thing is missing in the Christian world today:
WONDER. We can be so glib, thoughtless even, when
it comes to the Holy things of the Spirit.

No comments: