Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Valley of Drudgery

If You can do anything, have compassion on us and
help us. Mark 9:22

The height of the mountaintop is measured by the dismal 
drudgery of the valley, but it is in the valley that we have 
to live for the glory of God. It is in the place of 
humiliation that we find our true worth to God--and that 
is where our faithfulness is revealed.  
(OC)

Reader, when I was in nursing school, over fifty years
ago, we spent many hours caring for very sick patients
who needed complete care, which included a bath every
day, mouth care, feeding, the sheets changed--with the
patient in the bed!, and a back rub two times a day.
One noon I left the medical ward for lunch, completely
spent and discouraged by such effort, but, as I stepped
off the elevator I was met with these words carved into
the woodwork:

"The Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but 
to minister, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
(Matthew 20:28)

The impact made me cry and gave me wings!




No comments: