Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Comfort

When life falls in, where do I go for comfort? Food,
internet, shopping, games, books... Well, in the end,
it leads to more anxiety.

As I pondered the verse from yesterday--"Thy 
rod and thy staff they comfort me," it led me to
the third person of the Trinity and to the fourteenth
chapter of John. Funny how the Old Testament
spills over into the New!

Just before Jesus dies He and his disciples have
dinner together, but fear has crept in. They know
that something big is coming and they are terrified.
Jesus comforts them as He uses both the rod and
the staff. The rod is the truth: "I am going away, 
you won't see me anymore." He follows this
statement with the staff of promise: "I will pray 
the Father, and he shall give you another 
Comforter, that He may abide with you forever."

The valleys in our lives are places of truth and
Jesus says that "If we know the truth, the truth 
will set us free." Every valley is also enclosed
by hope, the promise of God.

David fears no evil because God is with him,
and God knows how to use both truth and
promise to bring comfort.

Amazing God!

(I have never seen this before! I love it when
God gives me new insights as I mull on a verse.)

Thankfulness Corner:
The wall of eight foot corn around the house.


2 comments:

Audrey said...

This is one of my favorite posts so far......this is an awesome truth!!!!!

Jane said...

Yeah, I got a kick out of it too!