Monday, February 13, 2012

Beholding Him

Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, 
with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, 
are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.
IICor. 3:17,18  NAS
The context is important and Paul is referring to previous verses where Moses had to veil his face
 when he left the Tabernacle. His face was transformed in the presence of the Lord, 
but as he went back among the Israelite, the glory faded. 

The Spirit indwells us and gives us liberty to go into His presence with an open face
 to behold as in a mirror the glory of the Lord.  As we behold as in a mirror, His glory,
 we are being changed from one degree of glory to another.  What a verse!  
Behold means to “gaze upon, to look steadily at.”   
The mirror part of the verse became a huge puzzle to me. How in the world 
do I look in a mirror and see anything but myself?  I have pondered this verse for months. 
I am not nearly finished with it and as He reveals to me more of what it means, I will share it with you
.  
For now it says to me that Christ dwells in me and as I gaze upon Him in me, 
I am in the process of being transformed!  That is what the verse is saying. Amazing!  
The first time I sat down to gaze upon Him all I could see was light and fire.
Over the years I have read many books about being transformed in my behavior, thinking, feeling. 
Nothing has worked and that is what it has taken, much work! 
The scripture says that “I AM a new creation” but how does this play out in my life?
This verse indicates that transformation comes out of fellowship, relationship,  
in the presence of the Lord. This takes time. It is not a quick, “how are you?” 
and “See you later,” to the Lord.  

No comments: