Monday, March 25, 2013

Pull Yourself Together, Job!

God's answer to Job:

"Pull yourself together, Job!
Up on your feet, stand tall!
I have some questions for you,
And I want some straight answers.

Where were you when I created the earth...?
Have you ever ordered morning, 'get up...?'
Have you ever gotten to the true bottom of things,
or explored the labyrinthine caves of deep ocean?
Do you know the first thing about death?
Do you know where darkness comes from and 
where light lives?
Have you traveled where the snow is made?
Can you find your way to where lightning is launched.
or to the place from which the wind blows?
Can you teach the lioness to stalk her prey
and satisfy the appetite of her cubs?"
(Excerpts from Job 38 in The Message)

The storm, the booming voice, the questions...
Job is speechless.

I remember a day when I was stomping around the
dining room complaining to God about my kids leaving
and not coming back soon enough or long enough for
my satisfaction. I was startled by the booming voice of
God: "Your children are mine, I am their God!"


No comments: